Monday, February 22, 2016

Weekly Media Response for Sunday, February 21

Due to some internet issues in my apartment, I was unable to post this over the weekend. Please respond by midnight, Monday the 22nd.
Thank you for understanding :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

BBC News
India caste unrest: 'Ten million without water' in Delhi
February 22th, 2016

More than 10 million people in India's capital are without water despite the army regaining control of its key water source after protests. The army took control of parts of the canal on Monday morning, but repairs are expected to take time. Keshav Chandra, head of Delhi's water board, said it would take "three to four days" before normal supplies resumed to affected areas. Sixteen people have been killed and hundreds hurt in three days of riots. Schools in the city were also closed after supplies from the canal were sabotaged during the protests.

It is so sad to hear news like that. Not only in India, there are lots of people can not find water in Africa. We do not know the importance of the water. As I always say we should empathize the world and the people. People die because of water. I hope one day humanity will understand the situation. "We never know the worth of the water till the well is dry"(-Thomas Fuller).


Unknown said...

Harper Lee, the author of “To Kill a Mockingbird” was buried in Alabama

The author of “To Kill a Mockingbird” and Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist,
Harper Lee died at the age of 89. And she was buried in a private funeral in
Alabama. She was buried alongside her father and sister Lice Lee at her family
burial plot in the cemetery.

Harper Lee is one of the greatest authors of the American literature. Her novel
“To Kill a Mockingbird” sold more than 40 million copies all over the
world and is translated into 40 languages. Its film version had 8 Oscar
nominations in 1962 and it won 3 Oscars.

The book is about rational intolerance in the South and it tells the story of a white lawyer who defends a black man who was accused of rape.

Unknown said...

BBC News
MWC 2016: Samsung Galaxy S7 restores expandable storage
February 22th, 2016

Samsung just announced their new flagship series devices yesterday.Samsung's latest flagship phones restore a couple of popular features dropped from the previous generation.
The Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge both accept MicroSD cards, allowing their storage to be expanded, and can also be submerged underwater.In addition, they feature new gaming tech and a rear camera that should cope better in low-light conditions. Samsung's launch keynote they compared galaxy S7's camera with the one used in the Iphone 6S. According to this I can easily say that this phone will have the best camera on a smartphone. I can't wait for the release date because I adored this phone so much that I decided to buy it as soon as possible.

Unknown said...

The Guardian
Clinton clinches Nevada while Trump wins big in South Carolina
February 22nd, 2016

An extraordinary battle between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton could be taking shape in the 2016 presidential race after the two candidates won crucial victories in the Republican and Democratic contests for the White House.

In a dramatic and potentially pivotal night for both parties on Saturday, Trump, the billionaire property mogul and political outsider, won in South Carolina by a wide margin, while Clinton, the Democratic party establishment’s pick, clinched victory in the Nevada caucuses.

Both the Republican and Democratic contests remain open, with Trump and Clinton facing significant challenges in contests that have so far been highly unpredictable. But there was a sense that the contours of both races had sharpened on a night that Jeb Bush, the former Florida governor, dropped out of the race.

Well, in my opinion, Trump is an unkind and selfish little stupid idiot. I am sorry for being arrogant but I can’t explain my hate with words. I hope he doesn’t get elected in final elections.

Hillary Clinton for the president!!!

Unknown said...

BBC Future
Will emoji become a new language?
13 October 2015

Emoji are a big part of our lives. The text claims that emoji are an emerging language that can almost compete with English. For some people this might be very exciting but the important thing is if the linguists believe if this is possible. As we understand from the text using emoji is similar to gestures that we use while speaking. As linguists state language is not limited to speech. We always use gestures to show what we mean. But would it be possible to use emoji as a whole new language? I think it is the language of texting. Almost everyone who texts uses them. Some people actually communicate only using emojis. Sometimes if I can’t find anything to say I use an emoji. It’s easier. However, it’s not possible to create worldwide language only using gestures. But it is the language of texting.

Anonymous said...

@asliozgonul Aslı I was going to write about it, so sad...

@didareb great topic, and I do think that it will become the new language

Anonymous said...

Alp Celenk 10-A

Bbc News

How much coffee should you drink?

In Britain they drink 70,000,000 cups of coffee a day – but what is that doing to our bodies?

I think we are having more caffeine by drinking tea alone in Turkey :)

As BBC presenter Michael Mosley explains in the video above, coffee is full of mysteries. It stops us sleeping, but doesn’t necessarily make us more alert in the morning; it raises blood pressure and increases your heart rate – yet also protects you from an early death thanks to life-saving “polyphenols”.

If you want to drink coffee healthily, you need to limit your caffeine intake to safe levels, though – and you may be surprised to find out just how much is in an average latte.

Anonymous said...

CNN News
Fashion designer Zac Posen: 'Black models matter'
February 22, 2016
Serrâ Zoraloğlu

Hey Guys!
New York Fashion Week is just over and it would be an insult not to talk about it. It was amazing, if I have to be honest. Some designers more extraordinary, some more classic but one way or another. One of the thing that stood up the most was the fashion of Zac Posen where he only used black models. He got his inspiration from the Ugandan Princess Elizabeth of Toro. I believe that it was a divine show not only with the styling and the looks but with the motto of "blacks lives matter"

In an industry that is often criticized for the lack of diversity, Posen said, it is "essential" that diversity is represented in the fashion world.

Unknown said...

BBC News
Eurovision: Ukraine's entry aimed at Russia
22 February 2016

"Ukraine has picked a song about Josef Stalin's enforced wartime deportation of the Tatar people as its entry to the Eurovision Song Contest." (BBC News)

The singer Jamala's song 1944 is focused on the disaster that ensue her great-grandmother, when Stalin sent 240,000 Tatars on crowded trains to arid Central Asia.
Thousands of Tatars died during or after the journey.
The song begins with: "They come to your house, they kill you all and say: 'We're not guilty'."

"This song really is about my family," said Jamala, whose great-grandmother was in her mid-20s when her family was banished.
Jamala mentioned as: "I needed that song to free myself, to release the memory of my great-grandmother, the memory of that girl who has no grave,"
She also added that she had joined Eurovision because she wanted people to hear a song written "in a state of helplessness" after Russia's seizure of her land, which makes the song also relevant to recent year.

As most of people would agree, the former Eurovision winner Rouslana mentioned: "This song... is precisely what we are all suffering in Ukraine today."

Unknown said...

BBC News
What is the meaning of The Scream?
Edvard Munch’s portrait of existential angst is the second most famous image in art history – but why? Alastair Sooke tells its story.

After Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa, The Scream is the most famous art piece in history. There are four original 'The Scream' paintings. The earliest painted version, from 1893, is in Oslo’s National Gallery. Elsewhere in the city, the Munch Museum boasts the other painted version, from 1910, as well as a rendition in pastel from 1893. Plus, in 2012 this painting became the most valuable art piece in the history.An entry in Munch’s diary, dated 22 January 1892, recorded the inspiration for The Scream: “I was walking along the road with two friends – the sun went down – I felt a gust of melancholy – suddenly the sky turned a bloody red. I stopped, leaned against the railing, tired to death – as the flaming skies hung like blood and sword over the blue-black fjord and the city – my friends went on – I stood there trembling with anxiety – and I felt a vast infinite scream through nature.”. He is an expressionist artist as we can say by reading his journal entry. In conclusion, we can tell that this painting is the expression of Munch's feeling of horror to the nature.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.