This is an interesting question that came up during our last discussion: how much is the art shaping how I perceive the word? To what extent does art influence my thoughts and perceptions? To answer this question, think about the Area of Knowledge, the Social Sciences, and the Ways of Knowing, which are Language and Sense Perception. This question can refer to all forms of art, be it literature, visual art, film, music, etc. Art is usually a very important aspect in all of our lives, but did you ever wonder about how art influences what you know? I am going to live this question open to any sort of response, but please stay focused and respond directly to the question (without rambling!!). We will use this during tomorrow's lesson as a point of departure. Have fun and challenge yourself!!

16 comments:
Efe GÖKÇEN
Mr.Farley
Grade 10 English Language and Literature
February 15th, 2016
To what extent does art shape our consciousness, and thus how we perceive the world?
Art has decent impact on shaping not only our consciousness but also our thoughts and attitudes. Art is not a subject like maths, chemistry or geography. Art is in every single place of our lives.
Art is not debatable. It’s not binary. No black or white. Art comes in various shapes and sizes. Art cannot be defined with words.
We can become anything we want. A doctor, an engineer, a pilot, an architect, a CEO, even a criminal. None of the above can actually “live” without art. They can just “exist”.
It is the key to perceive the world. My dad once told me to do whatever I am enjoying to do. Now I think, that may be the reason why we are here in this crappy world. Art is a way out of the phoniness and cruelty of earth. It’s our safety place “Where dreams are made of”.
Tolga Erdem
Mr.Farley
Grade 10 English Language and Literature
16/02/2016
Art can heal us, inspire us, and alter our brain chemistry.If I should talk about myself when I look at Monet's paintings.I feel free.She painted very nice view paintings.When we look at Van Gogh most of his paintings are complex but when you understand the deep meaning locked under those paintings you start to understand the world better.When we say art we shouldn't just understand paintings.Cinema,theather,museum...As professor Zemir Zeki said "The blood flow increased for a beautiful painting just as it increases when you look at somebody you love. It tells us art induces a feel good sensation direct to the brain" If we feel a strong emotional response, a sense of connection, love, fear or aversion, it means our consciousness has been effected in some way because you are showing an emotion to the painting if it didn't made you feel anything then It wouldn't affect your consciousness.Most of the films affects your consciousness like "Fight Club","Momentum", "Schindler's List" all these movies affects you;they make you think when you finish watching them.When you listen a music when you say the words while the music is playing it is an evidence that the music affected your consciousness.You don't really aware but art is affecting your mind really hard.
Atahan Küçük
10A
Art is a very powerful tool since the beginning of the time but not powerful as today. Nowadays we use internet to access any type of media these can be art, music, film etc. However, we also have a normal life as a student or professionals. That’s why many things can be influential on us including our teachers and parents. But which one of these is more effective on us? Well for me media is more powerful than our teachers and parents. I think this is just because we look for what do we want; like I like rock music so I search for rock songs somebody else wants to listen to pop he or she can search for pop songs. But in school we have to look, listen, learn, sense what they want us to teach. As a result, we can’t find ourselves there. That’s where art comes in and lead us to things we wants to listen, watch or feel so that we can find who we are. Lastly as internet users if you read a news about Syria you can imagine what’s going on there but if you see some pictures from Syria you can feel some feelings. Feelings are powerful than imagination so any kind of art is more influential on us than our schools or our families.
Ilgaz Halifeoğlu
Mr. Farley
G10 English Language and Literature
February 16th, 2016
Art is a diverse range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artworks, expressing the author's imaginative or technical skill, intended to be appreciated for their beauty or emotional power. Art is indispensable for humanity. There are three types of arts. “Visual arts” provide us to see the world from other people’s perspectives and empathize the world and the people better. It teaches us to how to see, not how to look. The other type of art is “literary arts”. It’s more about drama or poetry. If we read a poem and if we talk about it after we read, try to understand it then it’s a real art. Because the author of the poem shares his life experiences with us. We should know more about the world to live better. The third type of art is “performing arts”. It includes music, theatre and dance; the things we do with our body. The body language and the language that used are the main things in performing arts. An art is guide of life that helps us to think more. People can not do without arts. I think arts are notional. Each people can understand and learn different things. Because we all have different life experience. For doing arts we do not need super powers, every person can do arts.
“The artist is not a special kind of person; rather each person is a special kind of artist.”
- Ananda Coomaraswamy
Art effects everything. Sometimes it effects the real world specifically, sometimes only someone’s own world.
There are lots of bands who make songs criticising politics and other problems that are being faced. It is a way to reach people. Because some people like to listen to meaningful songs and actually pay attention to the words. Music is a way to reach people, and it’s very affective. Also movies can be a way to reach people as well. Music and movies are easy ways to reach people. They can affect people. I get effected by anything I listen, watch, read or see. Sometimes in a bad way. But I think every single form of art effects the way people think and it is the best way to change the way people think. If someone wants to make some people believe something they want, the easiest way is to make a movie or something.
Uğur Çelik
Mr.Farley
Grade 10 English Language and Literature
16/02/2016
Fist of all, every human being in world must admit that art has a big part in our lives. But the influence that art has on us changes from person to person.
A piece of art must have something common with other people, in order to get down these peoples world. Until that point, people's mind shapes art, but when it gets down into our world, it starts to shape how we perceive the world. The more emotional it is, the more influence it has on us.
Some people might think that art always expands our mind, but I don't believe that. Because the art is created by somebody else, it limits our view with that person. Individually, it limits our mind, but as we look at dofferent pieces of art, it starts to expand our minds. It makes us see the new movements or trends from different point of views, which helps us to think about them in a deeper way.
It doesn't only affect how we think or view things, but also changes how we behave in our daily life. For example, people wear things according to what is called "trend". Let's think about it for a second. What is "trend"? It is "the popular" thing, which is made popular "by" artists.
As a result, it is obvious that art has a big influence on how we perceive the world, whether it is good or bad; limiting or expanding our minds.
Grade 10 English Language and Literature
When I face with a piece of art such as a sculpture in a museum, or a concerto from bach, or a painting in a gallery; I am amazed with the way of thinking and imagination of the artist. To look from another perspective, gives me joy, and it drags me to a different dimension of life. Art transforms reality and the tangible to an abstract level. Also, it gives the artist a chance to Express the intangible such as the feelings and the meanings. The capability of art in achieving these things influence me a lot. I feel the limitless power of imagination; the power of the expression of freedom and the feeling of the freedom. These aspects of art make me a more refined person and improves my aesthetic qualities.
When I face with the black and white portrait of the reality, in other words, with the harshness of life, I need to escape, or fly away to the colourful dimension of art immediately, such as being captured by music or a piece of monologue of a novel character. In other words, art is a freedom and beside tasting, touching, and feeling the delight of looking from another perspective to everything. Also, I can say that meeting with art is an irrevocable moment of relief according to me.
Efe GÖKÇEN
Mr.Farley
Grade 10 English Language and Literature
February 16th, 2016
To add to my first post, art decently shapes our consciousness because in my opinion, it sharpens and develops us more than our parents and teachers. You watch a movie or listen to an emotional song and bam! You now feel the thoughts and emotions of the director of the movie or the writer of the song. You kind of experience their happiness, sadness, love, pain, hate. On the other hand, our parents and teachers can try to teach us from their experiences and regrets of their lives. But we’d rather not listen since we are teenagers. We act the way our guts and heart lead us. Art is guts and heart.
Alp Çelenk here, hello again before I started writing this blog post, I read everyone else's, to get a general idea of the topic, cause I have some contrarian opinions about this matter. In my early years in life, or childhood as they say. I had knew nothing about art. We had some paintings on the wall, I remember it precisely. My mom was also interested in photography. As much as she was a businesswoman, she knew all about it because of curiosity. I think that was the first step of my journey, but do not get me wrong. I am not saying that I know all about art and everything, it was just a "good looking something" at first. Then there was high school. Uğur, Tolga and Atahan will remember. There were a variety of different clubs. At my first year I choose the photography club with a teacher that had real hate to me. I used hate cause I knew all about the specs of a camera, the angles, lights and everything...
I'l admit I was a bit arrogant of myself. So you can say that I had that coming. After, at the end of the year we had to have a gallery with the pictures we took at the last trip in a "Tulip Festival Park". Sadly I forgot the location and the name of the park.. But it was that time of the year where it is all colorful and magnificent. That experience was so nice, the smell and everything. The park had a little lake where the ducks in it. Long story short I took an amazing picture there, it was so goooooodd, like I can't even. There was this seagull and a crow in the back chasing her. the seagull had a rose in her jaw... İt was a once in a lifetime experience for me at that age. However she did not choose my photograph for the gallery, instead she had other people's My thinking, my ideas, my perspective, it was all destroyed.Sorry for the long post I will now move onto the conclusion. So the TOK question was "To what extent does art shape our consciousness, and thus how we perceive the world?" For me it is major, It is like a part of me now, I see and feel it everywhere. I and many people obey the art that we love. We try to explain our way of thinking to the other side. It never ends, cause art is constantly changing and adapting society. That is the simple reason why old people do not like the new generation's music.
“Art is the lie that enables us to realize the truth.”
― Pablo Picasso
Serrâ Zoraloğlu
James A. Farley
Language and Literature 10
February 16th, 2016
Art is generally understood as any activity or product done by people with a communicative or aesthetic purpose—something that expresses an idea, an emotion or, more generally, a world view. Art is there to effect the way that we think, we see the world. “We need new ideas, we need new ways of doing things and we need a whole new way of approaching each other with much more empathy and understanding. This means that the rest of society really needs to focus on the world of art and culture as a vital source for not only solutions, but also ways of finding solutions… and a whole knew concept of what a valuable life really means.” said Uffe Elbaek, the former Danish Minister of Culture.
Art is what we view art. Art depends on mankind. Art depends on us, the generation. But we, on the other hand depend on art as well. Art makes us free it makes us feel like a bird because that is what we can relate ourselves the most when it comes to freedom. We want to be as free as a bird. Fly, move our wings. But we can't.
Why humans want to fly?
Because they want to be like birds
Because they want to beat God, they are envious of God
But whatever he does, he can not fly
So he starts to search for something else
He thinks about what else God do
He takes lives away
So human say, I will take lives away.
Art is everything. It forms the way we think, it decides the way we act. It makes us, us. Everything we watch, hear, see cause us to be the person we are today. Even if we want it or not, this global world that we live in leaves us no chance other than accept,ng what is going to happen and embrace what art has to offer us. We are not entitled to our opinion. Art makes our opinion. We are art and so is art us.
Man is born free and yet everywhere he is in chains, said JJ Rousseau. In the chains of art one might say. In the chains of capitalism and what the ones"bigger" than us wants us to feel, think and act. Thanks to our bigger uncles.
I strongly believe that art is a reflection of our own imagination. Everything is a masterpiece if we know how to look. There is no limitation in art. The influence of art is related with thinking and imagining. The people we call artists express their point of views or feelings through very different ways. In my opinion, we are the ones who label their work.
Art is a physical way to show our imagination to other people. Each one of us see every single thing differently. This is why the influence of art depends on the person. Nowadays, art is just a label. A label that only rich and high society people can understand and buy. Money cannot show the value of art. Art is not just the music you listen on the radio, or the painting you see in a museum. Art is only a word. It is about the value that you give.
Post a Comment