Post here your responses to the speech and eulogy by Sojourner Truth and Maya Angelou. Write down your thoughts as to what makes these speeches so powerful, so moving, and so poignant. By reflecting upon them, think about ways in which you can mimic their style to enhance your own speech.

9 comments:
-She defines herself as “a woman’s right”.
-Very strict, resists inequality.
-Encouraging.
-Quotations from Bible and Jesus.
-Tries to prove that women are also as important as men by citing God.
-Angry, offensive.
-Of course, “ain't I a woman?” is impressive.
-Her stability and determination makes the speech powerful(In my opinion).
She speakes really confident. The language that she uses is really strong, and very commanding. By giving different examples, she proves the audience that she is as strong as any man. She also relates this issue with religion, which makes people think equality must be the right thing. By making the speech short, she sends the message to the audience directly, and more efficiently. Generally, it is an impressive speech.
Even though the speech is great, I don't think that I can mimic her for my recent speech, cause I don't want to be that much aggressive. But if I wrote a speech in an aggressive mood, I would definitely mimic her style.
She speaks so direct and realistic. She spoke without hesitation and that makes her speech very strong. She thinks she is as powerful as a man. Her speech is not long but effective. She is also angry because women always come after men. She thinks women and men are completely equal. She reminds the world that women are human too.
Sojourner Truth in her speech is reacting against the inequality between men and women. I believe that she is right to show such a reaction because she says she is physically capable of doing anything that men can do and this is true. In old days, women were underrated in every aspect of life because of their gender. Today, this did not change. Women still aren't treated same as men at work, for example if the manager of a company is woman, they are paid less than men would be paid. Sojourner Truth states that Eve caused man to sin and if that is so women should be given a chance to set it right side up again. Maya Angelou used a poetic language in her eulogy for Coretta Scott King. She also uses metaphors. The language and her choice of words make her speech powerful. She is really self-confident. So I think both speeches are very impressive and powerful.
Sojourner Truth's speech is the most emotional and touching speech I have ever read through our semester. It was short and simple but also very touching. Everyone, men and women, children and elders, can easily understand her. She uses the most sensitive topics to touch people's hearts and impress them like beliefs. She also compare men and women and always say that how we are similar. The way she used the words really got my attention. ''Why children, if you have woman's rights, give it to her and you will feel better. You will have your own rights, and they won't be so much trouble.'' She is serious but at the same time, she has such an irony in her speech.
Comparing to Sojourner Truth, I am not that excited and impressed for Maya Angelou's. Her speech is really emotional as well because it is an eulogy. She is giving her speech at a funeral. It is really hard to understand her sadness because she lost a loving one for her. Also, the issue that she is talking about is really important and sensitive as well. Plus, I got bored during her eulogy. But both of them have really amazing point of view about women's rights and they are amazing speakers.
I found her really open, in the meaning of she is not hiding the words she wants to use.
She uses realigion which is an effective way to unite the audience in a common way. I also liked that her speech is short, which I can take example of. Cause people do not concentrate on you after 8 minutes. She is a powerfull speaker. She is confident about her game.
Hey,
I thought that this speech was one of the most inspirational and touching speeches I have ever read, and trust me I read a lot of them. It was very short and direct. Conveying the message exactly to the place it is supposed to. Another thing was that, even though what she is talking about is very very serious, all ages and all gender can understand her.
She starts with doing a comparison or rather cheating the comparisons that were already done. She simply states everything and say ain't I that and etc.
"I can't read, but I can hear. I have heard the bible and have learned that Eve caused man to sin." I thought especially this sentence was very powerful. It carried both a religious and a global meaning.
I loved her speech and reread it again and again. The way she uses words, her simplicity all together ı thought it was divine.
When compared to Sojourner Truth, I though Maya Angelou's speech was a little bit more serious and less interesting. And this was totally normal because it was an eulogy but still I did not like it as much. Maya Angelou is not only an amazing poet but she is a magnificent person and I truly love her but this was not as interesting as Sojourner Truth.
It is so different for her to start with a song as it is outside the box and somehow entertains others but still sees the mood correctly. Even though it was a long speech I thought that it was very proper and everything was well organized. She uses imagery, another thing we learned in class and it just perfectly describes everything.
"In times of interior violent storms she sat, her hands resting in her lap calmly, like good children sleeping."
Overall I think it is great but compared to the first one not so much.
I think both speeches were very powerful and inspiring but I have to say I liked Sojourner Truth a little more than Maya Angelou's. Truth's speech is short and clear. On the other hand Angelou has an eight minute long speech which is a little hard to listen too. Also because it's a eulogy it's way more heavy and deep.
She speaks direct and as powerful as a man. Her speech was short and con-size as well as clear and I think this qualities makes her speech very unique and powerful. She supports the idea of gender equality.
Post a Comment